Archive for the ‘questions about the hobby’ Tag

Custom Scenic Bases   1 comment

Recently I assembled Lashers and Scion for my Brood warband.  The Lashers are sculpted climbing up bits of rubbled buildings.  This made the models look unusual when just glued down to a plain base.  I decided I would try my hand at filling out the base with some “junk”.  I used the following things:

– A chunk cut out of a Tim Horton’s gift card (remaining balance unknown).
– A plastic plug from an Ikea furniture set, intended to fill a drill hole where a bolt would be.
– A grey drywall screw plug.
– Some tiny metal rings from a clothing rivet repair kit.
– Several pieces of sprue from a GW plastic kit.
– The pour holes from the plastic Menoth starter i purchased recently.

I visualized the various parts as being scrap from recent battles (specifically against the CORE) and leavings from the operation that long ago left the planet.  The chunk of card was cut into an odd shape and drilled with a few holes to look like an armour plate that had bullet holes in it.  The plug had thin flanges on it that looked like a CPU heat sink so I cut it down into a square and damaged some of the flanges so it would look like a generator/engine block/processor or whatever.  The grey drywall plug I bisected and the cap became something that looked like a tire rim and the shaft became a fairly interesting looking robotic spine.  The tiny rings were cut in half and glued down side by side to look like a giant spring buried in the sand or possibly a metal ribcage.  The chunks of sprue were cut down into rocks and a long “metal” or “stone” beam.  And finally, the pour holes from the Menoth kits were trimmed and became barrels.

Once I got all the junk glues down onto the bases it was very hard to look at what I had done and be able to say; “once primed that is going to look like what I intended and not just a pile of crap I glued to the base.”  I decided that to help assist with the look of realism I would add grit to the bases.  Something I NEVER do.  I paid Justin a visit at his home to get in a game and hopefully do up the bases.  Unfortunately we both forgot.  In a stroke of luck Rob came by last night and I asked him to bring along his basing kit.  He gave me a quick run down of how to go about applying sand and gravel flock to a base and then I went ahead and did the three Dark Age models and my Menoth starter.

This morning after the glue had dried completely and the bases were already looking great I applied a pretty thick coat of Vallejo Black Surface Primer, the brush on variety.  I am very happy with the end result…and here it is:

Lasher Bases

Unfortunately I didn’t take a good picture of the bases at each stage of the process.  I am going to do something similar for the rest of my Brood so I will document that process more closely with pictures of the source parts, how I cut them down, the raw base, flocking, and priming.

Advertisements

Workbench – M&SU Assest (or, Fear the Burning Angel)   Leave a comment

This is jumping back a little bit as I have already posted about my attempt to paint the first of my Fire Gamin but I put it up for the sake of completeness.

My workspace (after finishing the gamin)

The night after purchasing my Kaeris starter I dove right in and started building.  I was pretty confident that it was going to be an easy process since all of the models were single piece except Kaeris herself.  I got my workspace set up and started on the Gamin.  All of the models were pretty clean and I only do a limited amount of mold line removal so things indeed went fairly quickly.  The only complication were the base slots, the metal attached to the feet of the mini always seem to need trimming and filing to get it into the slot on the base and not have it poke out below the underside.  Over the course of an evening, while chatting with Justin on google talk, I managed to get my whole crew put together and primed.

I decided to use brush on primer as I don’t have anywhere inside that I can use spray primer.  I had used it before with some Alkemy figures and it worked really well.  I do like the smooth, opaque base that spray primer lays down but the complications with using spray primer outweigh that benefit IMO.  Historically I have had terrible luck with primer; having it separate, it going on “fuzzy”, not having a place I can spray indoors, living in an area that is winter 9 months of the year and too hot the other 3 months, etc…  From now on I think I’ll just use brush on primer.  A light prime with white gesso and then a nice black base coat will cover me for those models I would normally prime black (hopefully!).  Can anyone give me any reason why this would be a bad idea?  Are there things that spray prime does for you that you just can’t do with a brush on solution?

Anyhow, the brush on primer went on great (as you can see in the pictures below).  I now needed to start planning my colour scheme.  I am not a very confident painter so I often just try to emulate the studio paint job’s colours and will do so again with these models.  I am going to tackle the Gamin first (you can find a post about that fiasco here).  After that I have decided that I am just going to block in colours on all my models and give them a light wash.  That should get them to at least a respectable “Wow those look crappy but I guess they are painted” level.  If such a level exists.  And on that note I leave you with a shot of my whole crew waiting expectantly for their base coats!

The current state of my starter