Archive for the ‘Basing’ Category

Custom Scenic Bases   1 comment

Recently I assembled Lashers and Scion for my Brood warband.  The Lashers are sculpted climbing up bits of rubbled buildings.  This made the models look unusual when just glued down to a plain base.  I decided I would try my hand at filling out the base with some “junk”.  I used the following things:

– A chunk cut out of a Tim Horton’s gift card (remaining balance unknown).
– A plastic plug from an Ikea furniture set, intended to fill a drill hole where a bolt would be.
– A grey drywall screw plug.
– Some tiny metal rings from a clothing rivet repair kit.
– Several pieces of sprue from a GW plastic kit.
– The pour holes from the plastic Menoth starter i purchased recently.

I visualized the various parts as being scrap from recent battles (specifically against the CORE) and leavings from the operation that long ago left the planet.  The chunk of card was cut into an odd shape and drilled with a few holes to look like an armour plate that had bullet holes in it.  The plug had thin flanges on it that looked like a CPU heat sink so I cut it down into a square and damaged some of the flanges so it would look like a generator/engine block/processor or whatever.  The grey drywall plug I bisected and the cap became something that looked like a tire rim and the shaft became a fairly interesting looking robotic spine.  The tiny rings were cut in half and glued down side by side to look like a giant spring buried in the sand or possibly a metal ribcage.  The chunks of sprue were cut down into rocks and a long “metal” or “stone” beam.  And finally, the pour holes from the Menoth kits were trimmed and became barrels.

Once I got all the junk glues down onto the bases it was very hard to look at what I had done and be able to say; “once primed that is going to look like what I intended and not just a pile of crap I glued to the base.”  I decided that to help assist with the look of realism I would add grit to the bases.  Something I NEVER do.  I paid Justin a visit at his home to get in a game and hopefully do up the bases.  Unfortunately we both forgot.  In a stroke of luck Rob came by last night and I asked him to bring along his basing kit.  He gave me a quick run down of how to go about applying sand and gravel flock to a base and then I went ahead and did the three Dark Age models and my Menoth starter.

This morning after the glue had dried completely and the bases were already looking great I applied a pretty thick coat of Vallejo Black Surface Primer, the brush on variety.  I am very happy with the end result…and here it is:

Lasher Bases

Unfortunately I didn’t take a good picture of the bases at each stage of the process.  I am going to do something similar for the rest of my Brood so I will document that process more closely with pictures of the source parts, how I cut them down, the raw base, flocking, and priming.

Advertisements