I hate to paint #5   1 comment

Last time I said I was going to do smaller posts more often…yeah, that didn’t happen.

Lizardmen Saurus Warriors

I did a few test models to see if I could get a scheme that I like for the Lizardmen.  I didn’t want them to be the Hawk Turquoise that I am doing the Skinks.  I don’t want an entirely baby blue army.  I thought I would try for an Aligator skin look and it seemed to work ok.  Good enough for me to be happy with the result at least.  I won’t show a picture here because the photos of them made them look terrible, like a 2 year old painted them, but honestly they look ok.  Here is the recipe:

– Based with Dark angels green
– Metal bits done in Shining Gold
– Non-metal weapon bits done in Chaos Black.
– Dry brushed the scales heavily with Skull White concentrating on the back, face, and spikes.
– Washed the whole model with Thrakka green

Pretty simple.  The first 2 models took about 40 minutes to do.  Once I get going I could probably drop this down to 15 minute per model.  Maybe.

Snow Storm (Silent One)

“Snow”, or the Silent One that sits on the base in front of the nice model “Storm”, is a fairly plain model.  It is kind of unusual to take a really nice high detail model like Storm and plunk a low detail kinda plain model right in front of it…oh well…my paint job is certainly not going to show off the beautiful details anyhow.  Here is what I did so far:

– Primed with gesso
– Based her robes with Liche Purple being careful not to hit any of the fur but going over the laces.
– Washed the fur with Asurmen Blue then drybrushed it white
– Dragged a very dry white dry brush lightly over her robes to catch just the very edges if folds and to whiten the laces

Here is where she is at:

Progress on “Snow”

Snow Storm (Storm)

Here is the recipe I used for Storm which was both very successful and a complete failure… 😦

– Primed with gesso
– Base coat on antlers and hooves with Bleached Bone.
– Base coat on skin with Space Wolves Grey…washed over this with diluted SWG to catch missed spots and to smooth out the surface.
– Finger nails with Bleached Bone
– Dry brushed antlers and hooves with white
– Hit just the highest strands of fur with an almost dry brush to leave very white hi-lights.
– Washed fur with badab black.
– Washed nails and hooves with Gryphonne Sepia.

Here is where he is at:

Progress on “Storm”.

I am happy with Storm up until this point.  I just did a white drybrush on his skin and then washed him with Asurmen Blue and now I am unhappy with how he looks.  Not sure how to fix this.  Maybe a careful new base coat to leave some of the dark blue behind in the recesses, maybe a dry brush, maybe something else…

Base

I am going to put “Snow” and “Storm” onto a scenic base.  If you can visualize it, Snow will be standing on the smaller of the three platforms and Storm will have a foot on each of the two other larger platforms.  Here is how I painted it:

– Washed then primed with gesso
– Based with Ice blue
– Heavy dry brush on tops of platforms with white, light dry brush everywhere else.

Ice base

That’s it for now.  Thanks for checking it out.  Next time will have a bit more on my Lizardmen, a finished Snow Storm (hopefully), and some Alkemy models (definitely!).

Advertisements

One response to “I hate to paint #5

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Good to see the progress on Snow Storm! That base looks great. Can’t wait to see them painted up and on there. Will also be good to see Rasputina & Co. across the table once again.
    Too bad about the outcome on Storm, though. I haven’t had much luck with Asurmen Blue either.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: