Built, Based and Primed (Empire)   Leave a comment

So this past week I was able to finish building the rest of my Empire forces.  Everyone is built (minus shields for those that have them), based (sand for now, grass later) and primed (Krylon white primer).  I have also started painting the horses.  I don’t exactly know why I chose the horses to start off with, but I did.  And lastly, I got in a couple of demo games of WHFB using a 500pt list.

Building

I don’t have any pictures today, so you’ll have to take my word for it.  I will see if I can get some in the next couple of days.

I have now built:

  • 1 General on horseback
  • 1 Captain as Battle Standard Bearer
  • 2 Battle Wizards
  • 8 Knightly Orders
  • 20 Swordsmen
  • 10 Handgunners
  • 10 Greatswords
  • 5 Pistoliers
  • 1 Mortar

The units all have Full Command built.  Until I get more replacement models, if I ever don’t have any of the command units in the list, I will just place them in the back ranks to die early.  It helps avoid confusion. 

Everyone also has sand on their bases.  It’s just some regular white ‘play’ sand I borrowed from work (I work at a day care), that I glued to the bases using regular white Elmer’s glue.  Which I also borrowed from work.  I primed using Krylon white primer.  I’ve been using Krylon forever.  Krylon brown I find las down the best.  Gray and White often get a little funky and chunky, but with enough shaking and a test spray it works great.  And for around $5 a can, it is way cheaper than the GW stuff which I will never buy again.  Which means I will probably never prime black again, but that’s fine by me.  I can’t afford black primer at GW’s prices.

Painting

As mentioned, I’ve started painting horses.  First I put painted all of the Knightly Orders’ armour with Pig Iron.  I use P3 paints, by the way.  I think I’ll talk more about my tools and materials in the next update.  Next I painted the bases of all the horses with DecoArt Crafter’s Acrylic Burnt Umber.  This is a paint from the dollar store (Dollarama), since I don’t want to be wasting my more expensive paint on bases.

Next I painted hides.  For the Knightly Orders I’ve got two black, two gray, one tan, one dark brown, one reddish brown and one light brown.  The General’s horse will be dark brown.  For the Pistoliers I’ve got one dark brown, one reddish brown, one light brown, one tan and one gray.  When I get pictures of them all, I’ll name the actual paints I used on them.  I painted the Knightly Orders’ saddles blue and red, so the KOs will have Altdorfian colours.  More on choosing units’ colours next update, as well.  That’s where I am right now, with no detailing, manes, shading or highlights.  That will come over the next few days, hopefully.

Gaming

And again, last week I helped teach WHFB to gaming buddies Les and Chris.  A report can be found at http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/368056.page

Tonight I should be able to play another game or two, this time against some of the other ToG armies.  It looks like Rob, Loy and Andrew will all be able to make it out.  Maybe I can them how to make battle reports with Battle Chronicler, and there can be some for the games I don’t play in.

Anyway, that’s my update for week two.

Advertisements

Posted May 17, 2011 by mrborges in Empire, Warhammer Fantasy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: